Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A little bit of a change :)

Since we moved in, I've been planning on re-doing the bathroom. It's one of the two only rooms that weren't recently updated when we bought this house. The other one is the Master Bedroom, but that seemed more daunting, so I decided to start with the bathroom first.

My "vision" for the bathroom was pale yellow walls with white trim and doors. So, I went to Menards to get some paint. Chose the color, got it home, patched and sanded some holes from hardware, and I waited. I wanted to make sure it was the "right" color. I decided this weekend that the yellow was too dark. So, back to Menards for a re-tint. I had them lighten it a couple of shades and that was it.

I also ended up buying a new light fixture to replace the very dated one that was in there. I want to replace the medicine cabinet too, but in the interest of not spending all the money in the checking account, that will have to wait, lol.

So, Monday night after I cleaned the toy room, I got everything taped off to do the walls. It took WAY longer than I was anticipating.... But, I got it done and was ready to paint on Tuesday.

My brother was my "helper", and we're both pretty picky perfectionists, so it worked out ok. We decided to take the tank off the toilet, remove the old light fixture and take down the medicine cabinet. Talk about more of a job than we were planning on. I think it was like 1pm before we even got the primer on the walls.... and it was midnight before the second coat of paint was dry enough to put the toilet tank on!! Oh, and you can imagine how fun it was to not have a working toilet all day long with 2 kids... luckily they are boys and they can pee in the backyard, LOL!

This morning, we got the shower curtain back up, the light fixture installed and the medicine cabinet back up. In a couple of weeks I'll do the trim, doors, ceiling and cabinet. I don't want to put tape on the new walls until it's had more than enough time to dry. So, for now, the walls are painted, the light is in, the medicine cabinet is up and 1 towel rack in back on the wall. Everything else will have to wait a couple more days :)

I LOVE the color on the walls. It's still a little darker than I had envisioned, but it really brightens up the space. I can't wait to see it paired with fresh white ceilings, trim, doors and cabinets! Here's a picture of the before and after - with blue painters tape still up and everything, lol. I'll take the tape off probably later tonight after the cold front comes through and drops the humidity a bit.

Before:
Photobucket

After:
Photobucket

Photobucket

New Light:
Photobucket

Lemme know what you think!!

3 comments:

Bargains to Bounty said...

Love your new fixture! We're forced to do a bathroom redo and picked the same design from Menards (only one with 4 bulbs)! :) I loved that swirled glass!

Carielle said...

I think it looks great Amanda! Do you mind if I add you to my blogroll?

Amanda: said...

Cari - absolutely not!! How's that gorgeous girl doing?